Landlords Insurance

Whether you own a portfolio of properties or a single property, we will work closely with you, guiding you through the whole process to find the most appropriate insurance solution for your requirements. 

Depending on the type of property you own, whether it be commercial or residential buy-to-let, you may need to consider aspects such as buildings and contents cover, loss of rent, malicious damage, landlord’s liability, cover for outbuildings, garages, swimming pools and conservatories. We can also help you find an insurance solution if you have student or DHSS tenants and if your property is unoccupied.

With no two levels of cover quite the same, Property Insurance can be complex, which means it is crucial that we find the right insurer for your needs and that we tailor cover to your exact requirements.


Contact us

Get in touch to speak to a member of our team.

0115 973 7303

Key People

Meet the team

Types of insurance policies for landlords 

Insurances packages designed for all types of landlords, regardless of property status. 


Covering the buildings and contents for all residential properties including houses, blocks of flats, apartments, housing associations, student properties, listed properties and more.


Commercial property insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your business premises, or replacing your stock or equipment. The two types of cover are Buildings and Contents.


Whether you are out of the country or hospitalised, or your property is awaiting sale, in between tenants or is under renovation, we will search a panel of leading insurers for cover that fits.

“I've always received a quick and professional response and would certainly recommend this local business to others."

Vinod Kumar, Property Owner


Q: How do I find my rebuild value?

The rebuild cost is the amount it would cost to completely rebuild your property if it was destroyed beyond repair. It includes the price of labour and materials. This cost is usually lower than your property's sale price or market value, but it can also be higher. Basing your policy on your property’s rebuild cost will prevent you from over-insuring and paying higher premiums than necessary or alternatively being under-insured and having claim settlements reduced.

Calculating your rebuild cost in respect of a residential dwelling:

If you own a standard, brick-built home there are two ways to calculate your rebuild cost:

- Use the Building Cost Information Service’s house rebuilding cost calculator
- Hire a chartered surveyor to carry out a professional assessment

If your home is made from non-standard materials, has special architectural features, or if you live in a listed building, contact a chartered surveyor for advice.

Calculating your rebuild cost in respect of a commercial property:

Due to the wide variety of types of commercial properties and the nature of their construction, professional advice should be sought.

Q: Are my kitchen, bathroom, carpets etc. part of the contents or buildings?

Buildings insurance covers the structure of the building and any permanent fixtures and fittings such as baths and fitted kitchens. However, if can it reasonably be removed and taken to another home, the item will fall under Contents Insurance and not generally covered by a Buildings policy. Buildings policies usually include outbuildings such as garages and garden sheds also. 

Contents insurance covers your personal possessions such as your television, furniture, clothes, jewellery. In other words, just about everything you would take with you if you moved.

Q: Does Loss of Rent cover me if my tenant moves out?

The simple answer is “no”. To make a valid claim under the Loss of Rent section on a Property Owners’ policy, there must have been an insured peril in operation. For example, a fire or a flood which has damaged the property and led to the tenant having to move out.

Q: Does Loss of Rent cover me if my tenant stops paying their rent?

To have a tenant who cannot, or will not, pay the rent, is a landlord's worst nightmare. Many with landlord insurance may be disappointed to find that unpaid rent is not covered.

Most landlord insurance policies include Buildings and Contents, Liability cover, Emergency Assistance and Legal cover - which pays out if you need to take tenants to court to evict them. Many policies also include ‘Loss of Rent’ cover, but this doesn’t mean they will pay out if their tenant simply falls into arrears. In most cases, it only reimburses lost rent for periods when a property is uninhabitable because of another insured event such as a fire or a flood.

Instead, to protect their income against tenants in arrears and deliberate defaulters, landlords need specialist rent guarantee protection.

About Us

We buy effective insurance solutions for personal and business clients. Our dedication to service excellence has helped us to form long-lasting relationships with everyone we engage with.


Here at Routen Chaplin, we aim to provide the latest and most current news articles for our clients. If you would like to find out more, please follow the link below.